Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Nearing Home By Billy Graham- Book Review

*Disclosure- I recieved a complimentary copy of the book via the Book Sneeze program. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions stated are 100% my own.

About the book:


"Growing old has been the greatest surprise of my life,” says Billy Graham, known by many as God’s Ambassador. “I would have never guessed what God had in store for me, and I know that as I am nearing home, He will not forsake me the last mile of the way.”
In Nearing Home this man of faith—now in his nineties—explores the challenges of aging while gleaning foundational truths from Scripture. Billy Graham invites us to journey with him as he considers the golden years while anticipating the hope of being reunited with his wife, Ruth, in his heavenly home that eclipses this world. “When granted many years of life, growing old in age is natural, but growing old with grace is a choice,” says the author. “Growing older with grace is possible for all who will set their hearts and minds on the Giver of grace, the Lord Jesus Christ.”
Join Billy Graham as he shares the challenges of fading strength but still standing strong in his commitment to finishing life well.

My thoughts: This book is aimed at elderly people, but I think younger people (like me) can get a lot out of it too. Mr. Graham has inspired and even brought many people to faith throughout the years. I have been blessed enough to see him speak before he retired and there is just something about him that captivates and demands your attention. For that reason, even though I knew this book was meant for older people, I wanted to read it anyway, to file his thoughts away for a time in my life when I need it. I found while reading this book that many of the the thoughts and ideas can be applied today. Things like looking back on certain choices made, we might find that we regret some past decisions, but that was then and this is now...that advice could certainly help even the youngest of readers. There are thoughts on how to handle retirement (and a reminder that we are all different and different things work for different people), to arrange for things that in the event of your death, your family will have no question of what should go to whom and how things should be taken care of...things that I think everyone, not just the elderly, should consider having in place since we just never know when our time will be up. I love that this was Mr. Graham being an open book, speaking candidly about the loss of his dearly loved wife Ruth, about how he hasn't really loved growing old. This is an honest and thoughtful book written by one of God's greatest speakers. I was truly inspired having read it. I would recommend this book to anyone who is inspired by Billy Graham's work or who just enjoy or need words of wisdom regarding growing older and eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment